Earlier today, we imagined what we might reply to an alien civilization if that civilization contacted us here. Let’s take that a few steps further.
The message we received was this one:
Greetings humans! We, the beings of Alpha Centauri B b, would like to establish contact.
In order for us to decide whether or not to continue communications, please answer the following questions as they apply to Earth:
- What is Earth’s most important achievement?
- What is Earth’s greatest problem?
- What is Earth’s greatest strength?
- What is Earth’s purpose?
- What five questions would you ask us?
Pair up with another student to answer these questions. They must be answered in complete sentences and in paragraphs. You can use the internet for research.
- What kind of information should we send? Why should we send it? Should we send anything in addition to the anwers to the question.
- How would we send it (for example, using a spacecraft, a radio signal, laser beam, or some other means)? Why should we choose that means?
- In addition to that information, how should we introduce the planet. Write out a brief message that would accompany the information, and explain why you think this is a good introduction.